Keep the Same Date for BC Family Day (2018)
On May 28, 2012, it was announced that Family Day would be observed on the second Monday in February each year, starting February 11, 2013. As this does not coincide with the USA Presidents Day Weekend, it also provides two consecutive long weekends for tourism, particularly at BC's many ski resorts.
On February 9, 2018, the provincial government announced that Family Day would be moved to the third Monday in February 2019, to align our holiday with those provinces who observe it on that Monday. The fact is:
- This holiday helps drive the province’s visitor economy, which supports nearly 19,000 business and over 127,000 employees;
- BC Family Day is one of the top performing business periods of the year for many of BC’s holiday destinations;
- Generating $7-10 million in incremental visitor spending per winter for Ski areas alone;
- BC Family Day has extended the opportunity to generate significant revenues for seasonal businesses and communities over two consecutive weekends that include Presidents Day (USA) and Family Day in neighboring provinces; and
- BC residents benefit from the current timing with smaller crowds and better rates at many resorts, accommodation providers and other tourism businesses. Conversely, the third weekend in February (Presidents Day) is one of the busiest and most expensive periods of the year, with most resorts fully booked by both Canadian and American visitors.
Although the current BC Family Day falls out of line with most other provinces, it is for a good reason. BC is a winter destination for all visitors, and by having Family Day offset by one week to the rest of Canada, this allows our BC residents the opportunity to enjoy our day with more available accommodations and at a much more affordable cost. This also allows our BC resorts and businesses to enjoy a second long weekend in a row with enhanced traffic.
THE CHAMBER RECOMMENDS
That the Provincial Government maintains BC Family day on the second Monday in February each year.